Tuesday, December 14, 2010


Its been less than a week and I am already bored. Feeling a bit trapped! I have had some visitors though. Kacie and Brianna came by, and my dad and Father Jim. Its nice when people stop by. Makes me feel a little less lonely.

I've finally started getting some sleep, which is good. When I wake up is when my hip hurts the most. I usually wake up and pop pills. Makes me feel like a druggie! But they tell me its what I have to do. I try to get up and about as much as I can. Trying to get a glass of water or food is hard when I have to use two crutches, so I usually just hop around. It probably looks hilarious.

Speaking of hilarious (more like, totally embarrassing) I have a story about yesterday. Yesterday was Ethan's birthday. His parents had planned a nice dinner for us and I was dying to get out of the house. I had felt kinda crummy right before Ethan got home from work, but I took my meds, got dressed and we went over to his parents house. It was nice to get out for a while, even if it was raining. His sister hasn't been feeling well, so she didn't eat with us. Ethan's shoulder and back were bugging him, and of course I was a mess too. He opened his presents which was fun. There were even party hats! We sat down to eat. Dinner was great, one of Ethan's favorites. It was delicious but I suddenly had no appetite. I took a few bites, had some ginger ale and told them I was going to have to pass on dinner. After we had eaten (or rather after they had eaten) we got ready to go home. Just as we were leaving I got that "oh crap I am going to puke" feeling, the watery mouth, the overheating. I wanted so badly to make it back to our place before I threw up, but standing on their porch I knew I wouldn't make it. Martha told me to just do it, that I wasn't the first person to throw up over the edge of that porch. It made me feel awful, but I hurled (epically) over the side of the wall. I was totally mortified and kept apologizing. Martha and Jeff assured me that it was ok, and they felt bad that I was so sick. But I was still so embarrassed. :( Went home and decided that I wasn't going to eat anything the rest of the night. Probably for the better.

I got an email from Martha this morning checking in on me. She's such a sweetheart. Told me not to worry about last night and to call if I need anything. Ethan has the greatest parents. I'm not sure what did it- I haven't been sick since I woke up from the anesthesia. And I have been wearing the scopolamine patch since the day of surgery. Who knows. Weird fluke. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

My incision sites are itchy! I am assuming this means they are healing but its annoying not to be able to scratch at it. The lovely anti-embolism stockings I have to wear make my legs itch. Shouldn't really scratch there either, thanks to my eczema. If its not one thing, its another!

Hoping for more visitors soon. My clergy-friend Kit is coming to give me communion this afternoon, which is nice. Hoping to see some other people as well. And tomorrow I have another round of PT, so at least that will get me out of the house.

Tonight: A shower! And a movie night (in, obviously) with Ethan.



1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel better, I once puked in the back of my friend's car and into her mom's hair. I will never live that one down. At least it was over the porch and not all over the car. That poor Tercell was never the same.