Saturday, December 18, 2010

Time flies!

I shaved my legs this morning. I had to sit on a shower chair like an old person, but I got the job done. I no longer look like Chewbacca. I've never appreciated showering until I couldn't do it every day. I've realized now just how revitalizing a shower can be!!

Its been more than a week since surgery. I can't believe how quickly time has gone by! Thursday, which marked a week from the original surgery date, I went out with Ethan to our favorite restaurant in Portland, Caiola's. His office was having their holiday gathering there and I HAD to get out of the house. I showered, put on jeans, did my hair and wore make-up. It was wonderful. It was hard to stay sitting on the hard chair but I iced when I got home, and it was worth it. His boss and coworkers were pretty impressed that just after a week, I was out and about. I was kind of surprised too.

Physical therapy has been good but intense. It started the day after, and will continue, twice a week, for the next 2-4 months. I am basically having to re-teach my hip to move again, now that all the gunky stuff from the joint has been cleaned out. The Physical therapist's name is Chris. He's nice to look at, but also knows what he is doing. He kicked my ass yesterday. Did some light exercises, then 8 minutes on the stationary bike (with my brace on, for saftey) which is harder than it sounds when the muscle is weak and the joint is sore. Then he had me do 5 more strength exercises. At the end of one of the tougher ones I legit said "you're killing me, here." He just laughed and said "do 20 more of those." FML.

All in all, I feel on the up-and-up. Had a bit of a rough night last night. The scopolamine patch for nausea had worn off and I made the mistake of taking a Vicodin. BAD IDEA. Apparently that stuff makes me violently ill. Spent the better part of last evening/night hurling into a bucket. It was like waking up from the anesthesia all over again. I had to call the on-call doctor at Ortho Associates and have them call in the patches. I left the message, and 5 minutes later I got a call back. Had the patches within a half hour. I can't say they haven't been speedy. And they've been nothing but nice and helpful. Thank goodness.

Off I go to enjoy some lunch (I didn't eat much yesterday, and what I did eat landed in the bucket).




  1. Glad to hear that you are doing better (well minus the vicodin thing)
    Sorry I'm not in Maine to come and visit! Wishing you all the best. Prayers rising for a speedy recovery.


  2. I'm glad you are recovering so well and quickly (well, minus the Vicodin thing) 8-)

    Take good care of yourself and have a really great week!

    Love you cousin!